Friday, January 28, 2011

Class #3: Gapminder

This week in Math we were able to finish and view everyone's Gapminder posters.  I learned so much about presenting data in different ways, and also how everyone's interpretations and presentations were different.  For instance, I enjoyed graphs that were basic and provided all of the information.  I would get overwhelmed on the posters that were very busy.  But that is just my style, everyone has their own preferences. 

The question I have is: How much time would you have a Gapminder project go on with elementary or middle school students?  How do we fit in a lenghty project like this when we are given a math pacing guide that tells exactly which lesson you should be on each day?

I see this as a useful project to use in a classroom.  When viewing the standards for 5th grade, line graphs is among them.  I believe that using Gapminder would be a memorable experience and would give more ownership and meaning to the data and graphs the children produced. 

No comments:

Post a Comment